Here is an easy recipe for some muffins that will get you ready for a day on the trail! I find that it normally takes at least an hour to get to most trails from Calgary and by the time I get there, I could already use a snack. I like to bring a few of these babies along for a quick fuel up before we get the hike in motion. PS they taste better than they look, im a messy baker and my kitchen is dark and sad.
What you’ll need:
- 3 cups rolled oats
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 cup mashed banana, 2 bananas
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup almond milk
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- 1 cup chocolate chips
Here are the steps:
- Preheat your oven to 350
- In a large bowl mix the oats, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, and salt. Set that aside for now.
- Crack the 2 eggs into a medium bowl. Mix with the maple syrup, mashed banana, and vanilla extract until its nice and smooth
- Slowly add the milk and coconut oil
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Stir until all the oats are covered and moistened.
- Slowly add the chocolate chips.
- Distribute the oatmeal mixture among the 12 muffins cups. Try not to overfill!
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the tops are browned
- Let cool for 5 minutes
These babies have just over 200 calories and are simply delicious! I like to pack mine in a squish proof, metal container in case I want to bring them in my backpack. They make for a great snack on the trail too. Enjoy!